With summer in full swing, rain showers and thunderstorms are definitely going to occur. With a few simple tips you can keep your family and yourself safe this summer on the highways.
- Keep a few of these helpful hints in mind next time you are driving on a wet roadway.
- Keep a safe braking distance between yourself and other vehicles (3 second rule), as your stopping ability is limited due to having less traction on the wet roadways.
- Avoid using your brakes; if possible, take your foot off the accelerator to slow down.
- Never drive through moving water if you can’t see the ground through it; your car could be swept off the road.
- Replace your wipers regularly, at least once a year. Wiper blades in bad condition don’t clear water from the windshield very well and distort your view. Older vehicles may need to have the whole wiper arm replaced. The arms bend over time and sometimes can’t keep enough downward pressure to clear the windscreen, even with new blades installed. Wipers will often clear light rain from the windscreen with a few sweeps, then run on an almost-dry screen and leave smears of drying dirt. Don’t be afraid to use the windscreen washers liberally: the fluid is cheap (99 cents a gallon) and the safety benefit is high.
With these tips you can keep your family safe on the wet highways.
Remember that Radius Insurance Agency is here to help with all of your Auto policy needs (both personal and commercial). Stop by or call in for a free quote and see how we can help you save some money!