Twelve years ago today, Americans’ lives were changed forever when terrorists hijacked four planes and attacked the World Trade Center and Pentagon.
Nearly 3,000 people died as a result of the attacks, and Americans’ lives have been forever changed.
We have vowed to never forget, and to stand united. Here are some ways to do that.
1. Donate to the 9/11 Memorial & Museum – You can donate to help preserve the National 9/11 memorial by texting HOPE to 80088.
2. Reach out to our service members and their children – In the immediate aftermath of the attacks, many service members were severely injured and some lost their lives. You can help the victims and their children by donating to the Wounded Warrior Project and Tuesday’s Children.
3. Join the 9/11 Day Movement – During the attacks, and in their aftermath, there was chaos. Without a word of instruction, people banded together to help each other. By joining the 9/11 Day Movement, you pledge to remember America’s heroes by taking a positive action in your community. You can donate your time to a cause you care about or thank a policeman for their service. Every small action makes a big difference.
4. Help tell the story of 9/11 – Contribute to the living memorial by making an $11 donation to the Voices of September 11th. Help rescue workers, survivors, and their families tell their stories.
5. Participate in a 9/11 stair climb near you. – When the planes hit the towers and people were running out of the buildings, firemen were running in. To honor the firemen who lost their lives on 9/11, fire departments and volunteers around the country climb 110 flights of stairs. Find a stair climb in your community to remember these fallen heroes.