Prepare your home for cooler days ahead.
Fall foliage is beautiful, but not when it builds up in your gutters! Take these tips into account during the cool autumn months.
- Insulate water pipes in areas exposed to cold temperatures, and turn up the thermostat during extra cold periods.
- Check for damage to your roof, and clean gutters and downspouts to keep debris from accumulating. This is especially important during the fall season to keep leaves from building up in gutters.
- Check and repair caulking around doors and windows that show signs of deterioration.
- Check caulking around showers, bathtubs, sinks and toilet bases; and make repairs as needed.
- Have your chimney cleaned and maintained annually by a professional.
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct and space under the dryer. Remove all lint, dust, and pieces of material.
- Check your electrical outlets for potential fire hazards such as frayed wires or loose-fitting plugs. Be sure not to overload electrical outlets, fuse boxes, extension cords or any other power service.
- Keep a fire extinguisher accessible, filled and ready for operation.
- Inspect your smoke detectors. Make sure there is one on each floor of your home. Test them monthly, and change the battery annually or as needed.